BG00012 (fumarate; fumaric acid esther)
- Parent company: Biogen Idec.
- Oral drug taken once daily.
- In trials for treating psoriasis.
- This drug works as an Immunomodulator, with anti-inflammatory properties; may potentially have neuroprotective effects.
- Studied in RRMS.
- Phase 2b safety-extension study used three dose levels; highest dose resulted in a 69-percent reduction in the formation of new gadolinium-enhanced lesions compared to placebo; a 32-percent reduction in relapse rate was observed; over the 48-week period, BG00012 was reported to be safe and tolerable.
- Two-year, Phase 3 study to assess efficacy (relapse rate, progression of disability, and formation of active lesions) and safety in RRMS patients; will include two dose levels and compare to placebo and Copaxone; Recruitment of 2000 patients began in early 2007.