Betaseron® (interferon beta 1-b)
- Parent company: Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals.
- Administered via subcutaneous injection every other day.
- Approved for relapsing forms of MS and individuals with CIS.
- May affect the immune system by decreasing damaging cells and increasing cells that suppress inflammation.
- The BENEFIT TRIAL evaluated the impact of Betaseron on patients with CIS; over the three-year period, risk for confirmed progression of permanent disability was reduced by 40 percent, while patients were 41 percent less likely to progress to clinically definite MS.
- BECOME study, using new MRI techniques, compared Betaseron versus Copaxone in RRMS; enhancing lesions were similar, while black hole data favored Betaseron.
- BEYOND study in progress evaluates regular-dose versus double-dose Betaseron, as well as versus Copaxone.
- Follow-up data after 17 years from Betaseron's pivotal placebo-controlled trial show continued effectiveness and safety.