Fampridine SR® (long-acting fampridine, 4-aminopyridine)
- Parent company: Acorda Therapeutics.
- Sustained-release tablet of investigational drug fampridine, given orally twice daily.
- Improves communication between damaged nerves and may result in increased neurological function.
- Studied for MS symptom management (including walking speed and strength).
- A 14-week, Phase III, multi-center trial in patients with MS found that nearly 35 percent of the treated group showed consistent improvement in walking speed, versus just over eight percent of the placebo group; treated group also experienced an increase in strength.
- Adverse events attributed to fampridine were similar to those in previous studies, including an increased risk of seizures; this risk appears to be dose related, and the sustained-release formula is designed to reduce the risk of seizures.
- A second phase III study, MS-F204, has begun; 200 patients are anticipated to be enrolled at 35 MS centers in the United States and Canada.