- Parent company: Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation.
- Oral medication taken daily.
- Studied in trials for RRMS.
- Traps T-cells in lymph nodes, lowering number in blood; reduces permeability of the BBB; may reduce damage to nerves and enhance nerve repair.
- Reduces the number of active immune-system cells in the brain and other organs; will need to monitor patients to watch for adverse events.
- Phase II study showed up to 77 percent of patients remained relapse-free for more than two years; low rate of disease activity as observed on MRI.
- RRMS patients being recruited for FREEDOMS large-scale Phase III study of Fingolimod versus placebo.
- Ongoing trial compares Fingolimod to Avonex in RRMS.