- Atorvastatin (Lipitor®) and simvastatin (Vytorin®, Zorcor®) are among the statins presently being studied as potential treatments for RRMS.
- Statins are oral medications prescribed to lower cholesterol.
- Exhibit immunomodulatory effects, with anti-inflammatory properties.
- Successful in animal studies with MS-like disorder
Open-label clinical trial with simvastatin showed decrease in new MRI lesions.
- Small trial combining atorvastatin with Rebif in MS patients (whose disease was stable) found that while the combination was well-tolerated, MRI and clinical disease activity increased; this study with Rebif indicates that statins block the positive effects of interferons and is not recommended.
- Results expected soon from a large study with atorvastatin in patients with CIS.
- A study is planned for simvastatin to be added on to treatment with Copaxone for individuals with RRMS; also study with simvastatin versus placebo with acute optic neuritis.