- Parent company: Sanofi-aventis.
- Oral tablet taken daily.
- Works as an immunomodulator, affecting T-cell synthesis.
- Related to a type of drug used to treat rheumatoid arthritis.
- Phase II trial, with both RRMS patients and SPMS patients with relapses, evaluated two dose levels versus placebo.
- Trial results included significantly fewer enhancing lesions in the treated groups and a lower relapse rate; high-dose group had fewer patients experience an increase in disability (versus the placebo group) and a trend toward more relapse-free patients; treatment was well tolerated.
- Two, Phase II studies are in progress; one adds Teriflunomide to the treatment regimen of patients taking interferon; the other study adds Teriflunomide to the treatment regimen of patients taking Copaxone.
- Phase III study is in progress.